- Johnson, who resigned as foreign secretary over the Chequers plan, used a column in the Telegraph to argue that May’s Brexit proposals meant she was entering negotiations with a “white flag fluttering”. More on this found here.
- Remember all the hoo-ha over Donald Trump’s summit in June with North Korea’s maverick dictator, Kim Jong-un? With typical immodesty, Trump proclaimed a historic diplomatic breakthrough.
- Two Reuters journalists arrested in Myanmar while investigating a massacre of Rohingya Muslims have been found guilty of breaching the country’s Official Secrets Act and sentenced to seven years in prison.
- Brazil’s 200-year-old national museum:Most of the 20 million items it contained, including the oldest human remains ever found in the Americas, are believed to have been destroyed.
- The UNHCR said 1,095 people died on the central Mediterranean route, mainly from Libya to Italy, between January and July this year, amounting to one death for every 18 arrivals. This compares with 2,276 last year, or one death for every 42 arrivals.
- The Kosovan president, Hashim Thaçi, and his Serbian counterpart, Aleksandar Vučić, have suggested an exchange of territory could be part of a deal that would pave the way for a final settlement between Belgrade and Pristina.
No 10: Boris Johnson has ‘no new ideas’ and does not offer ‘serious leadership’- Politics live. More here.
- Britain on Monday called for the immediate release of two Reuters jailed in Myanmar for their reporting of the Rohingya crisis, saying that the verdict undermined press freedom in Myanmar.
- Palestinian President Abbas said he would agree to such an offer only if Israel is a part of the confederation.
- Analysis: If Israel had to enter Gaza today, the Israeli army would have a big problem.
- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has said that armed groups must be “cleaned out” of Idlib province in northwestern Syria, Iranian media reports.
- BAGHDAD — On land, Syria’s government is mustering thousands of conscripts to bolster its depleted forces. At sea, a Russian naval flotilla is just offshore, ready to intervene with formidable firepower. In Idlib Province, millions of civilians are dreading what comes next.
Casualties Reported in Alleged Israeli Strike on Damascus Overnight; Syria, Iran Deny. Read more here.
- Lebanon Sunday joined the global condemnation of the recent U.S. decision to cut all funding to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, denouncing it as an attempt to deny Palestinians their right of return.
Washington Mourned John McCain. President Trump Played Golf.
- What you need to know about the week ahead.